Important Topics Covered (Q&A with DIG President & MS4, Kristyna Gleghorn)
1. The DIG blog (http://digutmb.blogspot.com/) is a great resource for medical students interested in Dermatology.
2. Overview of dermatology rotations offered at UTMB. UTMB offers the 2nd most dermatology courses/electives of any school of medicine in the US. (Clinical Dermatology, Dermatologic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology, Dermatopathology, Acting Internship (AI) in dermatology, Dermatology Consults, Skin Diseases Depicted in Film, History of Dermatology, Skin Diseases in Modern World Literature, Dermatology Research, Skin diseases in Novels and Films, Dermatology Boot Camp, Narratives of Skin Disease)
3. Planning for away rotations (Tip: Many away rotations only offer clinical dermatology so consider taking a different elective, such as consults/Mohs surgery/Dermatopathology, as a MS3 at UTMB to receive credit for your aways)
4. Research is highly encouraged for dermatology applicants and there are many opportunities to become involved at UTMB. The earlier you start, the better. Research opportunities:
- Texas Dermatologic Society Fall and Spring meetings: poster presentation
- American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting: poster presentation or Gross and Microscopic Symposium (powerpoint presentation)
- American Academy of Dermatology Summer Meeting: poster presentation
- Honors Research Program (proposals due by December of third year)
- Case reports and review articles for journals (JAAD, JAMA Dermatology, JAAD Case Reports, Cutis, etc...)
5. Step-by-step process for writing a case report, review article, and getting Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval for projects.
6. The National Dermatology Interest Group Association has a number of resources for medical students who hope to pursue a career in Dermatology. Visit their website (http://www.derminterest.org/) and join their Facebook Group “Dermatology Interest Group Association” for more information.
Follow our blog to learn about upcoming events that you can participate in. Important upcoming UTMB student life, dermatology-related, and community service projects:
1. Welcome Weekend for MS1s: Information session and sign up for DIG (Saturday, August 20th).
2. Plazapalooza: DIG will have a booth & fun game for MS1s to get to know current officers and learn how to join DIG. (Tuesday, August 23rd)
3. Stay Shady Presentations at local schools, dates TBA for this semester
4. DIG Bake Sale, date TBA
5. Texas Dermatologic Society Fall Meeting Sep 30th-Oct 1st
Our next meeting (date TBA) will feature a talk with Dr. Wagner, Dermatology Program Director and DIG's faculty advisor, about getting into Dermatology residency. Please contact Kristyna Gleghorn or Tim Allen with further questions about becoming an active member of UTMB DIG!
Kristyna Gleghorn (email@example.com)
UTMB DIG President 2016-2017
UTMB DIG Vice President 2016-2017